What Should SMEs Look for in an IT Support Company
Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Perth looking to break into the big league often find themselves facing a unique problem – to become a bigger company, you need a robust IT system in place. But you need to be big enough to afford an in-house IT department. So what do successful SMEs do? They invest in a good IT support partner.
The right IT support company can help level the field between SMBs and large enterprises and boost their economic growth. How can a managed IT service provider help SMEs? Why not do it in-house, isn’t that less expensive? What should SMEs look for in an IT company? Let’s find out!
Why do SMEs need external IT assistance?
- Due to their restrictions on human and IT resources as compared to larger enterprises, the requirements and goals of small businesses are different. Choosing the right partner is key for SMEs, as IT management can make or break a business.
- An experienced IT support company can provide solutions you never knew existed. These solutions help you streamline business processes, provide better products and services to your customers, and grow your business. All these have a direct impact on improving your bottom line.
- An IT company would monitor and guide you on matters regarding IT infrastructure in a timely manner, before IT issues happen. This prevents downtime in your operations which enhances your company’s image as an efficiently functioning business. Anticipating issues beforehand also helps to plug the cash outflow spent on damage control of an IT issue.
- With their wide range of experience, an IT support company can provide expert solutions for all your IT needs – whether they’re hardware, software or cyber-related.
- An IT service provider can help you stay nimble and in shape even during business growth. You don’t need to hire and maintain a huge IT department. Most IT support companies provide NOC services, where they monitor your IT systems remotely, without even needing to be on-premises.
But aren’t quality IT support services costly?
No, they are not – if you are planning for growth and long-term business stability. You are getting expert services, the benefit of wider IT experience, improved efficiencies, lower repair costs, lesser downtime and a 24/7 service. You also are not paying benefits and other overheads that are associated with a salaried employee. An in-house IT employee will also need to be trained as new technologies emerge. With an IT service provider, the training of their employees is taken care of by the IT company itself. All the above translate into lesser costs than an in-house IT team in the long run.
If you are with us this far, you are probably wondering what makes a good managed IT service provider. Here’s what you should be looking for.
What should SMEs look for in an IT company?
Hiring IT support services is often seen as dead money by most small business owners. But a good IT partner is actually an investment that can contribute to business growth.
Let’s look at the criteria you should look for in a Perth IT support company for SMEs.
The most valuable commodity of this digital era is data. However, most small businesses are reluctant to invest their money in proper security controls.
- Social engineering and other forms of cyberattacks cause huge losses to SMEs frequently.
- Out of the 1763 participants in a 2019 survey conducted by the Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC), 62% of the organisations had suffered from a cyberattack.
Cybersecurity is, therefore, the #1 requirement for any business. When looking to partner with an IT company, small businesses need to ensure cybersecurity services are top-notch. Ensure that they have an emergency response team that is available at any time of the day.
2. Up to date with the technology
The IT company you are partnering with needs to stay equipped and updated with the latest advancements in technology – both software and hardware. Check whether the IT service plan covers consistent upgrades so that your business will move in pace with the changing technology standards. Always choose a company that would ensure your SMB gets the best quality products with expenses that are within your budget.
3. 24/7 Service HelpDesk
The primary goal of partnering with an IT company is to facilitate a smoother working environment. A support system that is available on time every time is among an SME’s uncompromisable needs.
A dedicated team that works around the clock and has a quick response time- this is a trait of a good IT company. An established IT firm will be ready to serve its clients 24/7 and offer remote troubleshooting options to streamline your business operations. It is important to have someone monitor your network round the clock to ensure things are in a safe mode, even after normal working hours.
4. A dedicated account manager
Enquire upfront if the IT support company will provide a dedicated account manager for your business. A single point of contact will be able to understand your operations inside out and propose quick and suitable solutions for your business.
5. Skilled resources
A team of skilled and qualified experts and technicians can provide the best IT support. Professional companies provide regular training for their staff to deal with complex IT issues. With experience, they will get more exposed to such issues and can resolve the cases much faster. Enquire about the expertise of the company staff.
6. Good track record
Ensure that the company you choose has good experience in the industry and has a proven track record. Take a look at the company website and read the customer testimonials and reviews. Happy customers will be happy to share their experiences. Also, get references from the company and contact them to verify how good this particular IT service provider has supported them. Check the Google reviews as well. Choose a firm that is comfortable in working with servers and workstations similar to yours.
7. Cost-effective services
Professional firms will make sure that there are no hidden charges and their costs will be transparent. Before signing up, make sure to discuss their charges. Remember that quality services will be more expensive. If you focus only on cost, services you get in return may not meet the expected standards.
8. Progressive Planning
IT has the power to boost the growth of SMEs, along with increased efficiencies and a better profit-loss structure.
Analysis and planning is not just for financials, it is important for IT processes too. The IT support provider should provide detailed analytics and regular plan revisions to ensure the quality of service provided by the SME never dips down. By supervising and constantly polishing the IT aspects of the business, a good IT company would help your SME to focus on its core business and boost productivity.
There may be few points that are unique to your business and need to be added to the above list, but this is pretty much it. So, now you can print out this list and look around for a Perth IT support company for SMEs. Or, just talk to us! Here’s why –
The Computing Australia Difference
Over the past 20 years, Computing Australia has worked with thousands of businesses. Our consulting team would conduct an in-depth Business Process Analysis (BPA) and help you figure out the weaknesses and strengths of your business.
- Intelligent CloudSuite software monitors your systems around the clock
- Continuous patching keeps your systems up to date
- Strong emphasis on prevention and permanent solutions to problems
- Investment in client documentation
- Ongoing commitment to staff training and mentorship
- Quality control systems, continually learning from what we do
- Dedicated escalation teams that extend the help desk experience
- Vendor relationships to manage third-party applications
- Warranty registration and management
- Dedicated account managers
An IT support company providing specialised and custom services for small businesses can help your business flourish. Computing Australia can help you realise the full potential of your business. Learn more about our IT support services for Small Businesses or Contact Us for an obligation-free chat.
Social Engineering – In Information Technology, social engineering is the process of tricking people into divulging confidential information.
Remote troubleshooting – It is a process where an IT specialist can solve your IT or network issues while physically being in another place.
Third-party applications – These are software applications made by a developer other than your operating system manufacturer.
Network Operations Centre – NOC is a centralised location where IT technicians monitor and manage the IT network of a company remotely.