5 Minute HelpDesk – Recover Lost or Deleted Files
Recover Deleted Files from Recycle Bin
- Open the Recycle Bin.
- Go to the files you want to recover and right-click.
- Choose “Restore”
- The deleted files will be retrieved to their original location. After restoration, you can move or copy the files to other drives as you like.
Restore Deleted Files from the Previous Version
- Click the Start button.
- Select Computer and then navigate to the folder that previously stored the deleted file or folder. If you can’t remember the location or the exact file/folder name, go to Documents Library, type part of the file name in the search bar and hit search.
- Right-click the folder.
- Then click “Restore previous versions”.
- The list of previous versions of the deleted files or folders which are available will be displayed with their different times and dates.
- Choose the version you want to retrieve.
- Click “Restore” to retrieve that files.
- Open the folder that previously stored the deleted file.
- Then click the "History" button.
- All the files stored in the most recent backup of that folder will be displayed in File History.
- Click on "Previous" to locate the file you want.
- Select the file you want to retrieve
- Then click the "Restore" button to restore it.
Recover Deleted Files using Backup
- Ensure that the drive or media where the backup is saved is connected or available.
- Click the Start button.
- Select Control Panel.
- Select System and Maintenance.
- Select Backup and Restore.
- Select Restore Files.
- Follow the steps as per the wizard.
If none of these works, take a few moments to consider –
Have you saved a copy of the file or folder in a cloud service like DropBox?
Perhaps you may have mailed or shared the file with somebody?
You can retrieve a copy from there. You may not get the most recent version, but you will have something to work on.
Wizard– a help feature of a software package that guides users with a set of instructions.
Recycle Bin – a folder to temporarily store files or folders that have been deleted in the file manager, but not permanently.
Gordon is the Service Delivery Manager at The Computing Australia Group, he is responsible for the delivery of all Computing Australia technical support services. It is a busy portfolio to manage as we have a lot of techs and our clients generate thousands of new tickets every day. If you are looking for a tech company that is passionate about service delivery, give Computing Australia a go. Many of our clients have been with us for all of our last 20 years of operation which is something we are all proud of here.