Managed Services – Your Gateway to Trouble-free Computing
Managed Services have been around for over two decades now. But with increasingly complex technology and automation of business processes, Managed IT Services are no longer just “desirable,” it is unavoidable and important for any business. Managed IT services have a lot of advantages over traditional IT support services.
So, what is a managed IT service?
In simple terms, your IT functions and applications are managed by a third-party service provider. Your managed service provider (MSP) is responsible for the maintenance and daily functioning of your business applications and supporting your end customers, leaving you free to concentrate on your core business competencies.
How is it different from your traditional break-fix IT support?
In a traditional set-up, you call your IT support when a problem occurs with your IT functionality. The service person troubleshoots the problem and the service is usually judged on the response times. The fixing is done “after” the problem has occurred leading to downtimes, data losses, productivity slumps etc. while the troubleshooting process is going on.
Advantages of a Managed Service Provider over a traditional IT support
- Improved Productivity – One of the main advantages of managed IT services is the focus on proactive maintenance. So, instead of solving an error that has occurred, your MSP would be working towards foreseeing and correction of errors before they occur leading to no or low outages and improved response times.
- Efficiency and Quality – Critical processes usually involve multiple technologies. For seamless IT functioning, it’s important for them to be operational and integrated. MSPs usually work with multiple clients and will have access to the latest IT developments and methods. So, you get continuous, high-quality service freeing up your IT department to focus more on strategic IT concerns.
- Risk Management – Unlike a traditional service provider, much of the risk associated with your critical to business processes are transferred to the MSP. Their highly skilled knowledge and experience ensure that you have much-improved risk management, especially for IT security and compliance.
- Assured future-ready IT services – Managed IT Service providers engage in constant training on upgrades and new releases and proprietary solutions. So, you can be assured of minimal risks, service disruptions and improved productivity.
- Customised solutions – While traditional IT support usually works on their own terms of service, customised solutions is a great advantage of managed IT services. MSP offer you personalized solutions based on your operating hours, business needs and the complexity of your applications.
Types of managed services
Managed services have evolved through the years, and they are capable of providing device management services and third-party services, such as hosting. Now, let’s see what other services are offered by MSPs.
- Managed security
One of the strong attractions of MSP services is its security services. An MSP will conduct an audit to check the network for vulnerabilities. Based on the audit outcomes, they create a plan that will help patch the weaknesses and improve the security of the company. Leaving the security to MSP allow companies to focus more time on strategies for innovation and expansion of business.
Backups can help to eliminate the aftereffects of a hardware failure or a natural disaster. Managed services can create duplicates of application software, memory, local data etc., to ensure your data has sufficient backup.
- Customised applications
Managed services can also provide customised applications. A good MSP will provide you with customised solutions, scaled, and the most suitable for your business. This is especially helpful for small and medium businesses that lack the resources to maintain an in-house IT.
- 24/7 management
This is perhaps the biggest advantage of a Managed Service Provider. IT issues can happen anytime – an in-house team may be unavailable or lack the expertise to tackle issues in real-time. An MSP will monitor for invasions, implement measures to patch any weaknesses and maintain backup systems etc., around the clock. At Computing Australia, we use our proprietary Cloudsuite software for round-the-clock monitoring of client software. Also, our IT helpdesk works 24/7 for client assistance.
Does your business need managed services?
IT is ever-evolving, and every business needs to ensure that it keeps up with the latest trends and developments. But this may be challenging for most businesses due to financial reasons or lack of expertise. This is where managed services can help you – they can increase your business operational efficiency by 45 to around 60% and reduce IT costs. Managed Services help you with your technology needs as well as plan technology strategies that can help you meet your business goals.
How to choose a managed IT service provider for your business?
Here are some pointers to note while choosing managed service providers for your business.
List out the services you need from the MSP and what departments you need their support for. Research and shortlist the MSPs that can meet those specific needs.
Security is a top priority when it comes to business. So, it’s wise to choose an MSP who focus on security. This way, you can ensure your data will be secured from cyberthreats.
- Expertise and Experience
Choose an MSP with experience, creativity and innovation. Go through their website to ensure they are authentic. Ensure that there is a physical address to the provider.
The MSPs who offer customised services will modify the tools and tactics according to your businesses needs. With the advanced cloud technologies, this process has become comparatively easy and functional.
Is there a helpdesk that can be contacted at any time? Know clearly the contact mechanism and hierarchy your business will be offered. It is essential to have consistent communication between the MSP and the client.
Last but not least, find an MSP who can meet your needs and are also affordable. Most MSPs will have multiple pricing models like per-user, per-device, value-based pricing etc.
It would be good to remember that communication and clear Service Level Agreements are key to ensure maximum benefits from a Managed IT Services agreement. Continuous and open communication will ensure that you and your MSP are on the same page regarding your requirements. Engaging the services of an MSP allows you to improve your productivity while ensuring an enhanced experience for your business end-customers. If you are looking for IT support companies in Perth – consider Computing Australia. Contact us today and learn more about how our IT managed services can help you with your business applications and IT security.
Cyberattack – refers to any type of malicious attempt by cybercriminals to disable computers, steal data or gain information.
Application – software program designed to performs a specific task for an end-user other than one relating to the operation of the computer.
Revised by Chris Karapetcoff on 16/08/2021
Added new sections:
Types of Managed Services
Does your business need Managed Services?
How to Choose a Managed IT service provider for your business?
Added Jargon Buster