5 Minute HelpDesk – How to Manage Passwords in Chrome Browser
Google Chrome is one of the most widely used browsers. Its popularity is mostly due to many of its unique features. Managing and saving passwords to different applications is one such feature. Our IT solution team from Perth has a few tips on how to manage passwords in the Chrome browser.
How to save a password to Chrome
Before attempting to save the passwords, make sure the password saving feature is enabled. For this:
- First launch Chrome.
- Then click on the “Customize and Control Google Chrome button” (three dots) on the top right corner.
- Then click on “Settings”.
- Go to the “Autofill” option and click on “Passwords” You will see a toggle option on “Offer to Save Passwords”. Switch the toggle to the on position (which it will mostly be by default).
Now to save passwords,
- Log in to any site with your password credentials, and after you are logged in, a dialogue box will display asking if you want to save the password.
- Click “Save”, and the browser will remember the password.
- If you click “Never”, then the password will be added to the never saved list.
Once saved, the next time you log into the site, Chrome will automatically fill in the password. If there is more than one account linked with that site, you will be given an option to choose the login credentials you want from them.
How to access saved password
To access the saved passwords,
- Launch Chrome and select the “Customize and Control Google Chrome button” (three dots).
- Go to “Settings” then “Autofill”, and then go to the passwords menu like before.
- In the new tab, go to saved passwords. There you will find usernames and passwords saved to Chrome.
- To see the passwords in text, click on the eye icon (Show password).
If the system is password-protected, you will have to give the system password before viewing the saved passwords. After the computer credentials are entered, the saved passwords can be viewed in plain text.
How to edit saved password
Once you are able to access the saved passwords –
- Click on the “More actions button” (three dots) beside the credentials you are trying to edit.
- Click on “Edit password”.
- After typing in the edited version, click the save button.
How to remove a site from never saved list
If you accidentally click on the “Never” option while saving the password, it will be moved to the never saved list. In order to remove the site from the never saved list:
- Open the passwords tab and scroll down till you see the “Never saved” list.
- Click on the “X” icon(Delete this item) next to the site you want to remove from the list.
Now the next time you log in, Chrome will ask you if you want to save the password. Click on remember password.
How to export saved passwords
- Go to the password tab.
- Once you are in the password tab, scroll down to saved passwords.
- Click on the three dots beside it and then click on “Export passwords”.
- You will be asked to confirm if you want to export the passwords, as it is a security risk as this information becomes human-readable after exporting.
- Once you have confirmed, you will be asked to enter your computer credentials again. Once that is done, choose a safe place to store this file in the pop-up and click “Save”.
How to remove saved passwords
To remove the saved password:
- Click the “More actions button” beside the password you want to remove in the saved passwords list.
- Click on the “Remove” password option.
- Then, a pop-up will notify you of the action with an “undo” option if you want to reverse the action.
Web Browser – an application used to access web pages and websites. E.g., Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox etc.
Passwords – or passcode is a string of characters that allows access to a system or service.